Designing a Durable Web
Online content tends to be consumed, discarded, and decay more quickly than some slower mediums. The fast lifecycle of most online content isn't a problem in itself: they're able to capture the cultural zeitgeist of the day and hour in a way slower mediums like books cannot. The issue is the difficulties faced by those who want to create slower forms of content on the web.
A Multiple-Faced Issue
In my view, there are five major challenges for content longevity online.
- Content fades in relevance quickly.
- Technology used to serve the content is deprecated quickly.
- Popular communication channels penalize infrequent creators.
- Links and references become obsolete frequently due to 1-3.
- It costs money to keep content live.